Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Arms of Love


This Friday the 14th, Kevin and I will celebrate 10 years of marriage. Nine years ago, we didn't think we would even get to celebrate our first year of marriage. Through the awesome grace and mercy of God, we will celebrate our 10th together. Life has been Crazy, but the past 4-5 years have taken the cake. We have seen a lot, been forgiven a lot, learned a lot, and hopefully loved a whole lot.

About 4 years ago we told the Lord we were ready for whatever he had for us, and so the roller coaster began. During that time we experienced quitting both of our jobs at highs in our careers to stay home together and start a business; good business, bad business, money, no money. We have been through traggic deaths from close friends and family. We got the prompting of God to sell our house of 7 years. Without knowing where we were going or what God was going to ask of us, we put our house up for sell. Shortly after God revealed Apartment Life to us. We got our house ready and sold 90% of our stuff and our home. The most difficult part was trying to find homes and dropping off our 4 cats (Cleo, Ming Li, Angel, and Colonel). We were homeless for a month and traveled to different places, family and friends, with the back of our CRV loaded with our belongings. Then God led us to Valley Oaks where the real fun began. The first five months at Valley Oaks, Luke and Lynen suffered from respiratory issues due to the smoke coming into our apartment from the neighbors above us. Luke went into respiratory distress five times. We had our apartment flooded by peoples sinks and toilets. We lived next to an apartment that was infested with thousands of roaches. Luke began to get hives all over his body after five months of being at Valley Oaks, and then had hives for the next five months. They finally agree to test him for allergies, and he was allergic to 29 out of the 37 things they tested. We moved to a different apartment, and had to give our cats away again. (We got two of them back a month after we moved in to Valley Oaks). So far since we have been in this new apartment, Kevin was out of work, one of our cats died, we had money stolen from our accounts (all returned), and other health issues.

All of that being said, the greatest thing I have learned during this time is that God NEVER left us. He was always there with beautiful reminders that we are right where he wants us, no matter what we are facing. And I love Him and trust Him more today than I did 5 years ago, and 10 years ago.

So as we leave for vacation, I am so thankful and humbled at God's provision for us and the blessings he has given us, and just how he loves and forgives. I have more peace in my life than I thought possible. By the grace of God I have two wonderful children, and a husband who knows my deepest secrets and desires and I know his. I get to share every day of my life with him. And...God is never going to leave us.
Below are the lyrics to Amy Grant's Arms of Love. This is my life song.

Lord Im really glad youre here.
I hope you feel the same when you see all my fear,
And how I fail,
I fall sometimes.
Its hard to walk on shifting sand.
I miss the rock, and find theres nowhere left to stand;
I start to cry.
Lord, please help me raise my hands so you can pick me up.
Hold me close,
Hold me tighter.
I have found a place where I can hide.
Its safe inside
Your arms of love.
Like a child whos helped throughout a storm,
You keep me warm
In your arms of love.

Storms will come and storms will go.
Wonder just how many storms it takes until I finally know
Youre here always.
Even when my skies are far from gray,
I can stay;
Teach me to stay there,
In the place Ive found where I can hide.
Its safe insideYour arms of love.
Like a child whos helped throughout a storm,
You keep me warmIn your arms of love.

Aloha!

1 comment:

Casey said...

Love this post. You guys are such a great couple & great friends. Joel & I are coming up on our 10th in May & I've been reflecting a lot on all that we've been through in those 10 years too. The hard stuff makes us & our marriages stronger if we let it. Hope Hawaii is wonderful beyond belief!!